What We Do
The Slipper Mill Pond Preservation Association dedicates itself fully to its mandate to
"protect and conserve the wildlife and natural environment of the Slipper Mill Pond for the benefit and quiet enjoyment of the public."
In 1981, in order to preserve it, the pond was bought by 33 local households. They placed the pond in Trust, granting a lease to the Association (which was set up specifically to look after it), and we are responsible for its day to day management and maintenance.
Volunteers carry out as much of the maintenance and repair work as possible, and specialists are engaged for the more complicated tasks. All major works are subjected to Risk Analysis based on the recommendation of the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers to ensure safe working.
Recent tasks undertaken have included:
- the strengthening of the inner and outer faces of the banks
- emergency works to the outer wall by the sluice gate
- replacement of the sluice gate
- developing a planting strategy
An overview of major milestones can be found on our timeline page.
Events are held throughout the year, and it has become a tradition to have an evening talk in Spring, a Summer Party and a Christmas Dinner - functions which are attended with much enthusiasm.
With thanks to organisations that have helped us including:
- Infrastructure Inspections
- Litter Picking
- Reed Management
- Tidying/maintenance of planting on pond banks
- Bird Raft Maintenance
- Monitoring of birds and plants
- Annual Dinner, Summer Garden Party, Spring
Talk, Schools Photographic Competition
- Quarterly Committee Meetings
- Annual General Meeting
- Administration (Membership, Finance,
Insurance, Newsletters, Website)
- Liaison with Councils, Harbour Authority,
Environment Agency etc
- Signage (temporary and long-term)
- Reed Management
- Planting Plan
West Bank & Footpath
- Routine inspection of both Inner & Outer Faces
- Monitor footpath use and resurfacing issues
- Tidal Gate Replacement / Repair
- Sluice Gate and Sluice Outfall Maintenance
- Routine inspection of walls & gabions
- Fish & Invertebrates