2021 First year as a CIO (old SMPPA charity no. 277744 closed).
Frames and wires installed on all 3 bird rafts to deter the Great Black Backed Gulls from nesting.
Membership drive resulted in 50 new members.
First full year of income from Dolphin Quay boatyard.
Pond Owners agreed to gift the Pond to the SMPPA - legal process commenced.
Work on planting & clearing, mostly in NE and SE corners - sea buckthorn, Rowan, dog rose etc and wildflower seeds planted.
Summer Party in August and a very successful work party on 9th October, but Annual Dinner cancelled again.
All signage refreshed and updated.
2020 New Sluice Gate fitted by Nick Gates, wooden boat builders based at Emsworth Marina.
Dolphin Quay Footpath gifted to the SMPPA by Mr & Mrs Wardle from Wharf House, King Street, in order that it is not developed.
March onwards - Coronavirus COVID-19. Broomfield Schools Photographic competition and all other events cancelled.
2019 Footbridge refurbished in February - horizontal posts replaced (previously strengthened in 1993).
Approval granted to transfer the status of the SMPPA to a CIO (Charitable Incorporated Organisation, reducing liability for the Trustees).
2017 Northern bird raft replaced. Main bird raft re-sited and repaired after breaking free
Dolphin Quay planning approval given
Lumley Cottages phase 2 completed
2016 East Bank strengthening and sleepers placed along Slipper Road
2015 Lumley Cottages river flood wall stage 1 complete
East Bank – common reed second spray
Greater Black Backed Gulls - protection removed in the Autumn
2014 Dolphin Quay planning application withdrawn
Ems flash flood - Christmas
2013 EA, WSCC, Lumley residents, Brook Meadow and the SMPPA join to form the Lower River Ems Management Group
Accepted by them that the management of the pond does not cause flooding to upstream property
Environment Agency take over and replace the sluice at Constant Spring
Bird raft protection to discourage the Greater Black Backed Gulls
East Bank common reeds sprayed and posts put in to mark the reed boundary in waterline
2012 Bird Book released
Following a generous donation from his Estate, the committee set up their 'Maurice Broomfield Photographic Competition' in his memory.
Tidal gates replaced
Ems flash flood - June
Greater Black Backed Gulls nested and raised chicks on raft
2011 West bank repairs costing £75,000 completed thanks to grants
2008 Emsworth Marina silt dredged
2007 West bank planted with sea club rush
2006 SMPPA Leaflet prepared and information boards replaced
Hermitage housing under construction
Bird flu scare
2005 SMPPA - stake holder in Environment Agency's Catchment Flood Management Plan
DEFRA - Flood Management Forward Capital Programme - Westbourne to Emsworth Flood Improvement (HX80370) (Note silt
DEFRA - Coastal Defence Strategy - Porchester Creek to Emsworth - (JH60537)
Arup geotechnical assessment of West bank
2004 Kissing gates and bike rack installed
Radar survey of bank - financial help from CHC
Emergency works to West tide gate outer wall by volunteers - helped again by CHC
Wave undercut sandbag bank infilled repaired by volunteers with full grant funding from WSCC & CDC
2003 South-west bank repairs - inside and outside by volunteers
2002 Sluice - paddle and assembly rebuilt
2001-02 "Burgess" report discovers Lumley Cottages flooding was fluvial and not a result of the Pond Gates management regime. It was noted
that the cottages themselves are low lying and could be swamped by exceptional tides.
2001 Slipper Road repaired - SMPPA contributes £1,000 for bank strengthening.
2000-03 Planning application for land alongside Hermitage Brook opposed on grounds of fear of pollution from untreated surface water
1998 Slipper and Peter Ponds registered "Sites of Nature Conservation Interest" (SNCI)
October - Very high tides together with high flow rates in the Ems valley. Flooding - Lumley Cottages affected
1996 Gate flank walls strengthened
1995 Wimpey housing development surface water sewer proposal to discharge into pond objected to - rerouted through the Marina
Rofe Kennedy & Lapworth report on River Ems
1994 Winter Floods
"Lambert" Report on cracks in the Gates - West Wall - April
1993 Bank reconstruction
1992 Bridge Repairs - November
Work on A259 Bridge not complete
1991 No movement in Spillway crack - September
Dolphin Bank breach repaired
Sluice & gate repaired - October
West bank repairs with sandbags (BTCV)
1990 SW Corner repaired with Reno mattress - January
1989 Hampshire / West Sussex County border moved east so as to be along the west bank footpath - map here
"Older" Report on pond banks - January
Footbridge strengthened - summer
1988 Sluice & outfall repaired
New A27 dual carriageway bypassing Emsworth opened
Stakes bridge rebuilt
Planning application for a block of flats to replace Chequers Garage. This was eventually granted after it had been reduced from 40 to 37 ft
in height with a number of restrictions (September)
1986 Nesting rafts made by Mr Owen Jones were placed on the pond .... mallard and coot immediately took up residence
1985 CHC laid gabions along North End of West Bank
1982 Bank repairs with the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers
1980 Pond purchased by 33 residents for £10,000 (£100 shares) - 8th May. The Pond is managed by "Emsworth Slipper Mill Pond Preservation
Association" a registered charity, responsible for the banks, footpath, sluice and tide gates.
Upper pond (Norton common) now known as "Peter's Pond" after the father of the new owner Mrs. Kinloch Elizabeth Hollis. (Architect)
1979 Association registered as a charity
1978 Completion of removal of electrical shop and 3 houses and the widening of the bottom of Hermitage Hill
1977 Copyright of drawing of gates given to SMPPA by Ken Simkin
BTCV first visit - 1000 sandbags
Paul Russell from West Ashling Mill constructed new gates and 'frame' from green oak specially felled by Stanstead Sawmills and delivered
by Pat Mann. Forestside farmer.
British Trust for Conservation Volunteers first visit work on east side of west wall and path 1,000 sandbags, 2 tons cement, 17 cu yds ballast
16th November at 1.30pm new gates were officially closed by Chairman Coast & Countryside. New gates estimate £883 - cost £1,600
when all finished).
1976 September 10th - Assocn meeting. Gates are leaking so badly that it was proposed that we could either repair the gates or fix them and in
effect turn them into a weir. Meeting agreed to have to Gates repaired and working. A fund raising committee formed. Tony Yoward,
Ted Gastine, Group Capt David Hughes and Cdr Simon Coney.
Fund raising Committee formed
Gates rebuilt by Paul Russell - green oak and old fittings - £159
1974 July 30th - Inner Relief Road opened.
1973 Building of Inner Relief Road started and gates left open which increased the scour and built up the bank inside the pond.
Sluice repaired - £211
1972 Mill wall breached - repaired by Assocn (£100), WSCC (£550) & CHC (£400)
July 4th - Meeting to discuss future of Slipper Mill Pond - some of the suggestions made were:
Leaving the gates permanently open
Reclaiming the land for other purposes
Using the pond as a marina for 40 boats
For Winter storage of boats
Sailing area for dinghies and children's boats
Extend the southern wall across Dolphin channel with 20ft gates for access in order to save having to repair the western bank
Asbestos sheeting on either side of the western bank and fill with concrete (cost £45 per yd)
Progressively sandbag (cost £40 yd)
1971 April 23rd - Conveyance of the pond from Evelyn Hyacinthe Freke Daily to her daughter June Pamela McNaughton
1970 Agreed with CHC to flush channel monthly
October - Gates worked on by Hitchman
1969 Dr Russell of Cockle research came to look at pond
Conveyance to Evelyn Hyacinthe Dailey (Slipper House) from Leigh Thomas & Midland Bank
October 27th - Lease to Preservation Association for 21 yrs at £1 p.a. Lessees Kenneth William Rawlings, Irene Simmonds, Albert Edgar
Symonds, Peter W. John Messervy. Shrubs to be planted and boundary posts erected on east bank. Assocn membership fee set at £7 PA.
June 20th Harbour Authority asked for gates to be opened at regular intervals to flush the channel.
1968-9 Mill Store converted into 4 houses - now called "Slipper Mill"
1967 Pond offered to SMPPA for £4,000 - could not raise the cash
1966 Slipper Mill Pond Preservation Association formed in July
Mill building pulled down by a rope and a Vauxhall car
1963 Marina construction started
1962 Deed between Leigh Thomas, Midland Bank and D.R.Sadler (Builders)
1960s Slipper Mill demolished
1959 Mrs Dalley (owner of Slipper House, no. 2 Slipper Road) leased the pond from Leigh Thomas (Millers) who owned Slipper Mill and the Old Flour Mill,
paying £110 p.a. for 10 years
1942 Mention in "Secret Sussex" by Hardiman Scott
1940 Chequers Quay taken over for military use - including splays over pond needed for vehicular access
1939 Mill stops working - used for storage
1938 Chequers Garage site bought by Ben Jones
1936 Mill working - 2 (3) wheels
Wooden tuns cover the stone floor
Tentering wheel for adjusting stones
Grain came from bin floor above and flour from chute in front
1935 Purchase of Mill & Pond by Leigh Thomas & Co Ltd - last operators of the mill - from Thomas Gater Bradfield Co Ltd - limited to self-raising floor
1914 First sewer excavated across pond
1913 Ropewalk not working
1912 Big storm damaged Mill House. Miller's family moved to Round House until Slipper Mill Cottage built by Quinnells (IoW) Ltd
1903 Stakes bridge rebuilt
1895 Sparshott junior Royal Oak Public House (K)
1894 Queen Street mill burnt down and rebuilt
1878 George Albert Tatchell - rope manufacturers - Hermitage
1876 Frank Burgess born in Roundhouse (Brickyard)
Miller for 52 years (1918-1972)
1874-82 John Day junior - millwright - Hermitage
1874-8 Thomas Bryerly - miller
1874 OS map shows ropewalk
worked by Adolphus Miller
J Tatchell & Son - rope manufacturers - Hermitage
1867-86 New Slipper Mill - Boney Hatch
1865 Slipper cottages - date on stone - built by Tatchell for workers
1841 Roundhouse on map
1838 Westbourne Tithe - Executors. of Rev. Lewis Way own Staggs Mill occupied by Thomas Newlyn
1831 Pigots Hants Directory - John Cousins & Sons, Slipper Mill
1814 Queen Victoria is said to have passed over Stakes Bridge at Hermitage at about noon on 25th June
(Dolphin Hill renamed Queen Street?)
1805 Norton Common enclosed
Richard Barwell died
Rev. Lewis Way purchased Stansted
1801 Bridge built for the Turnpike Trust in 1762
1800 About this time the Mill Pond level had been raised and the Upper Pond formed, flooding common land containing saw pits etc
1792 Ropewalk owned by Richard & Stephen Miller
1786 By this date the lower Mill pond had been built on part of Norton Common
Ropewalk shown on map
1785 Bardwell Map:
Estate shows an extensive Slipper Wharf along what is now the Marina Bank
Roundhouse meadow called a brickyard
1783 Slipper Mill insured for £500 - premium 35/-
1762 Turnpiking of Portsmouth to Chichester road
Stakes Bridge rebuilt
1760 Mill & tidal pond built by Thomas Hendy on South part of Norton Common at the same time as he enlarged Hendy's Quay & built wharfage at
Slipper. This covered the wadeway to Thorney and the route was diverted at the bottom of Sweare Lane (King Street) to run due South.
1724 Budgen mentions Hermitage bridge
1700s Great strides in agriculture, large harvests
Army garrisons and Navy increased needing more flour
1689 Picture of road bridge in Ogilby's "Pocket Book of Roads"
1640 First mention of "Slipper" (Slype = mud) - referring to a plot of land
1640 Map by Thomas Kington for Lord Lumley
1570 Earliest reference to Lord's Mill, Queen Street - Thomas Swyfte, miller (Reger p 109)
1527 Will of Simon Coates - left an endowment of land, a house and a chapel to allow a hermit to dwell and pray for the souls and maintain the
causeway and bridge built by him. No one succeeded him and it is likely that he was one of the last hermits to exist in this country